How is it best to clean a mattress?Mattresses
Keeping your mattress clean helps to ensure that it remains both hygienic and in good condition. As adults we spend around ⅓ of our lives in bed, meaning that our mattresses will see more use than our sofa for example. This means that we leave our skin cells, and sweat behind when we get up in the morning. With this happening every day, it is important to keep on top of cleaning your mattress as it'll be more difficult when there is a build-up.
If you are lucky enough to own a carpet cleaner, these are great to clean your mattress. However, please remember to allow your mattress to entirely dry before you remake your bed, otherwise, you might find yourself having a damp night's sleep. It can also lead to a damaged mattress or bedding.
If you do not have a carpet cleaner, we have 6 simple steps to help you keep your mattress maintained and as clean and hygienic as possible:
- Strip your bed and wash your linen following the recommended care instructions on the label and inspect your mattress thoroughly.
- Vacuum the surface of your mattress using the upholstery attachment, making sure this is clean before you start. Remember to hoover under the bed to remove dust – this is especially important for people with allergies.
- Most stains can be removed using a mild detergent. Dip a clean sponge into the bubbles and clean the surface area with a circular motion from the outermost portion of the stain towards the interior of it. Leave to dry fully.
- Rotate your mattress from head to toe if it’s one-sided or you can flip it if it’s two-sided. If double-sided make sure you hoover both sides.
- Air out your mattress for a few hours letting the fabric breathe by opening a window and letting some fresh air in.
- Using a mattress protector beneath your sheet helps to protect it from dust, sweat and daily use. Keeping pets and children from jumping on and off your mattress will stop internal damage and prevent spills and other accidents.
If you require more information on maintaining your mattress, please contact a member of our expert team today, who will be happy to advise you. If your mattress is starting to look worse for wear even after a good clean, it might be time to replace it. Head over to our mattress page to see what we have on offer at the moment.